Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Making a Trade

I normally don't do custom work because of my limited time in the studio, but I just had to make a trade with my sister-in-law for some of her beautiful labordorite earrings that she makes. I wanted a special gift for my Grandma, and she wanted a special gift for a good friend of hers, so I agreed, and here I go!

I'm making a pendant with an elephant on the back with this beautiful stone. It's some sort of jasper...but I forget what kind. (It's one of the millions of jaspers out there). Anyway, It's getting started today, I'll post the end product when I'm done.


2 comments:

Diane said...

Can't wait to see what you are up to! This is fascinating to me-have strung some beads and bought the tool to knot between pearls but what you are doing must take a dangerous torch or something. Can you tell about the process or maybe I missed that blog................thanks for sharing!

Katie Do said...

Sure! It's a bunch of different techniques, basically for this pendant, i'll use a jeweler's saw to cut out the elephant pattern in silver. Then I solder a rim of silver to the base which will hold the stone. I trim the excess metal, solder on a bail and then polish it up. It's similar to quilting...but instead of thread and needle, we use torch and solder! I have older posts with some pictures of my studio. I can post more in the future too.